So I was so honored to have a friend asking me about abs workout in the gym today.
Yeah, I did share my exercises with him and I decided that I should share it with you guys too!
Ok, so if you are a regular gym-er who does not have an well seasoned gym body then maybe you can try the workout I am about to propose.
I'm sure it will hurt you like crap 90% of the time.
Alright, so this is what I do to train my abs. Ready?
1) Ball Sit-up
To start off, I like to do some sit ups to get the body/abs warmed up.
I prefer do sit ups on a stability ball as opposed to conventional sit ups on a floor or mat due to the following reasons:
a) greater range of motion
-If you notice, one will arch his back more as compared to lying flat when lying on the ball. Hence, when one does a sit up there will be a greater range of motion implying working more muscles and doing more work to the muscles.
b) instability
-When exercising on a stability ball, one is likely to wobble. Hence, one will be required to engage other muscles to ensure stability and balance. This will improve one's balance and work the muscles required for balance too.
You can find more advantages of doing sit ups on a ball on Google.
So I will do 20 reps for 3 sets
-Don't worry if you think that it's too easy, this is only the beginning.
2) Leg raises
So in this exercise, you start with your legs up to about 20 degs off the ground and raise it to about 70 degs.
That's 1 rep, lower it back to 20 degs and then raise it up again for another rep.
In this exercise, one should be mindful not to strain the lower back while lifting the legs.
One should engage the core muscles (especially the lower abs) when raising and lowering the leg.
The legs should preferably be flexed and straight (NOT bent) throughout the workout.
Also, I like keep my head and shoulders lifted using the core throughout the exercise to engage the core more.
This is something I learned from my Yoga practice, when we do an exercise or pose we should be mindful of what muscles we are working during the exercise and focus on that muscles.
It's called having awareness, control and form is very important.
Try to to be aware of the core; flex it, engage it, feel it throughout the workout.
Alright, so about 20 reps for 3 sets.
3) Forearm Planks
I prefer forearm plank to straight arms as my arms will tend to get really wobbly if I did straight arms.
Anyway, do try this out in front of the mirror first to get the form right.
Keep your head looking up(front) throughout, don't look down on the floor.
Do feel yourself engaging your core to keep your body upright throughout the exercise.
Do not collapse or raise your bottoms, in short do not cheat.
Get your watch or your cell phone to time.
1 min for a set, 3 sets
4) Side Forearm Planks
To have an "entire core experience" we should workout our sides(obliques) as well, not only the front abs.
Usually, I will start with this position for about 20 to 30 seconds
Then I will proceed to this position for the remainder.
I can't find a similar image with a forearm at the bottom so this will do.
Anyway, just lift the top arm straight up.
I like to do this to have more stability and feel more in this pose.
Have something to time yourself.
45 secs a set, 3 sets.
4) Hanging Leg Raises
Find a pull up bar, hang from it and raise your legs straight up to achieve an L-shape.
That's 1 rep, now lower it down and repeat another rep.
If you find this difficult, try just raising up to your knees. It works just fine. See the illustration below.
Preferably, I would not like to do it on a pull up bar as I would be distracted by the strain on my arms and stuff and be less focused on my core.
Hence, it will be great if your gym has a machine like this. See below.
But if you do not have it, it's ok. You get to work out your arms at the same time.
When doing hanging leg raises, do take note not to shake about back and forth too much as you raise and lower your legs.
Remember, engage your core and control the motion.
Do about 10 reps a set, 3 sets.
Alright, so we are done.
Only 4 exercises, easy right?
When doing the exercises remember the following:
a) Quality over quantity, FORM should never be compromised
-Maintain the form, do not compromise just to complete the set. Decrease the number of reps if you are too tired.
b) Do NOT use momentum
-Never use momentum to get you through the exercise. That is cheating and you will only end up wasting your time and not gain anything.
c) Always have awareness
-In other words, always engage your core through the core workout. Focus on the muscle, feel it. Enough said.
Be mindful of the 3 crucial points above and tell me how you feel after the workout.
If you are not some muscle hunk, do expect your core to feel like shit for the next few days.
If your core aren't screaming, then perhaps you are too good for this and you should continue with your own regime or try something else.
Yup, so this is my little 2 cents worth.
Do try out the "cw's Abs Challenge" and tell me how you feel!
Have fun :)
Scott signs off.








No comments:
Post a Comment