Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Town of Chang Xing, 长兴

This morning, we visited the town to collect some parcels and to buy some supplies.
One of the teachers drove us there.
The vehicle we took was a little pick up, those that you would see 20 years ago in Singapore.
The interior looked rather worn out and it was a little squeezy.
Five of us journeyed through the relatively deserted countryside roads.
Cold wind was gushing in through the windows as rows of lush greenery stream pass us.
Then we took a turn off the main road and entered an area where construction was on going on both sides.
Our teacher told us that we were there but I was confused, there were barely any shops and the population in this area was so sparse.
Immediately, I visualised the town to be just an area in the countryside where only few shops exists.

Next, he did a few more turns and we arrived at a vacated shop to collect Aaron's parcel.
Following that, we got back to the vehicle and proceed to collect my parcels.
We travelled deeper into the urban jungle and more people started to appear.
The streets started to appear more lively and suddenly...
I felt like I had travelled back in time to the 1980s.
Obviously I wasn't born then, but at least it looked like what I saw on TV shows.
Below are some of the pictures of my journey back in time, and I shall not explain further.





One of my parcel was collected from a shop facing the hospital.
It happened that the shop sold lottery tickets too and my mentor decided to try his hand on a few lottery cards.
Lady luck was smiling on him, probably because he was bringing us out, and he managed to win 20 yuan.
We proceed to buy some groceries from a supermarket (which surprising carried a rather wide range of products) before my mentor went to buy some fruits for us with his prize money.
Beside the fruit stall, an elderly man who walks with a limp was selling steaming hot dumplings.
Aaron and our mentor who didn't wake up for breakfast could not resist and decided to grab some.
We got back to the vehicle and made our way out of the bustling town, back to our tranquil farm.
That concludes my little journey back in time.

Okay, back to reality.
This is my first post here on my exchange in China.
These photos were the result of me playing with the filters of my (new) S4 camera which happen to give them a nostalgic effect.
If you were wondering why was I collecting parcels, it was because I did some shopping on Taobao(china's version of ebay) and the place I was staying was too remote for the courier service.
Alright, till next time.
Scott signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment