Friday, June 21, 2013

I can draw?

Can I draw?
Well, my mother did try very hard to ensure that I could.
When I was 5, she enrolled me in art and calligraphy classes hoping that I would develop some talent in art or have a beautiful handwriting that would be the envy of others.
But alas, 我不成才, it was no meant to be.
No matter how hard I tried it just turned out to be a hideous piece of (well) art piece.
I guessed the teacher too gave up on me.
When it came to art homework in primary school, my work was too hideous to be exposed to daylight.
Hence, all the art homework I submitted were all drawn and coloured by my lovely sister.
Yeah, and I even won some merit award when I submitted something my sister drew for a competition.
Then came secondary school, that was when I got 25/100(who gets that kind of score in sec sch?) for my last art exam and that was the end of art for me ever.
Looks like the teacher didn't like the distorted Pokemon I drew.

I thought I would be free from being forced to produce hideous pieces forever as I went into the science stream where everything are about words and numbers.
Well, that's what I thought until I decided to enroll into SUTD, where the D stands for Design.
I tried, trust me, I did try my best to avoid tormenting others with my horrid drawings but there's only so far I can run.
And out of all places, here in China during my exchange programme I am tasked to submit one sketch a day on any product.
Looks like it's the end of the road for me, I can't run anymore.
Time to face my worst enemy, drawing.

So for the past few days I have been sketching, and since I am already going to agonise my mentor with my obnoxious sketches why not you too?





































Honestly, I would really prefer to use a 3D modeling software to do such product concepts.
I can somewhat picture the product in my mind but I just can't replicate it in reality with a pen or pencil.
Software such as Solidworks, is the perfect tool to translate the image in my mind to reality as it allows me to create the perfect circles and perspectives that I can't.
They say that sketching helps you think about the details of the product and at the same time refine the product.
Well, I do that all the time when I am on Solidworks too.

Hai, anyway this post is about my drawing.
So can I draw?
Well, you decide.
Scott signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment