Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Mean N Lean week

Hello everyone!
It's the first day of school after the recess week and I'm feeling great!
In contrast to many others, my exams were before the recess week so I'm pretty free and jubilant while my peers are wallowing in misery.
Well, too bad for them then.
Moving on, I've decided to call this week my mean and lean week.
This is simply because I've got time to train and I'm going to MBS this sunday (Yahoooooooo!).
My brother-in-law who works there finally got a room at staff rate for us.
Finally it's my turn; after seeing all those people post countless photos of themselves at the skypark for the past few years.

 Mean and lean week has been something on my bucket list for a long time but I just couldn't find the motivation to do it.
Ever since Aaron gave me his big bag of BSN True Mass 1200 leftovers, I've been gaining quite a bit thanks to it's insane amount of calories.
Well, it has been effective but it does have it's down sides too.
The mass I gained wasn't totally clean (since I don't really include cardio in my routine), thus although I did bulk, I accumulated a lot of fats too.
In fact, my percentage body fat is at a record high!
The last time I did a measurement (which was during my training phase in NS), my body fat was below 10%.
Recently, I had an opportunity to do another measurement (cause my sister somehow got a weighing scale that has that functionality included) and -holy crap- it was almost 20%.
#fatorwhat lol!
But then again, I was very skinny when I was in NS so....whatever.
And I have gained about 10kg since which I'm proud of.
Yeah, so this high calorie mass gainer has been serving it's purpose but it also has this side effect which was mildly annoying but wasn't serious enough for me to forgo it's benefit.
Therefore, I continued to consume it albeit with some regulation with the aim of finishing it.

So what is this mean and lean week all about?
Well, I've decided to increase my workout intensity (by including cardio and more core) and frequency for the week.
Yeah, so I'm being mean by working harder and trying to be lean by working more often.
And the goal at the end of the week is to improve my definition while retaining the same bulk.
Burn those jiggly tummy fats away!

I've always been an advocate of free eating, cause I don't see a point in depriving oneself of one of life's simplest pleasures (food) just to stay lean all the time.
Besides, I do not have a reason to maintain definition and my endomorphic body furnace has been doing a great job of keeping me thin.

However, for this week I shall set a "no fried food" restriction for myself till the end of friday.
I will also try to eat less carbs and unhealthy food everyday.
Lastly, I will half my mass gainer intake to only one scoop per day of training just so that I don't loose mass.
Yeah, this does sound like I'm on a diet.

Okay, enough said. So this is Day 1 (Monday) :
 - usual chest and core (since it is supposed to be core day anyway)
 - plus, 3.4km run followed by my usual "take the stairs up" on my way back.
and here is the mandatory selfie to document my progress.

It has to be b&w cause the indoor night lighting sucked and my front cam was crappy.

Yup, so I'll continue working out for the rest of the week and document my progress (hopefully) everyday.
Really hope that I can see some results by the end of the week and that I have the motivation and discipline to carry out my plans everyday.
Fighting!
Alright, cya peeps.
Byeee.
Scott signs off.

Day 3

Hi peeps!
I promised to document my progress through the week so here is an update.
It's Wednesday, so 3 days have passed since I began this Mean and Lean programme.
I've started to feel the sore and fatigue since yesterday, guess my body isn't use to this sudden increase in intensity.
Nonetheless, I'm glad that I was still able to push on and be discipline enough to workout everyday.

Being on a diet sucks.
It was ok initially but today I'm starting to have cravings, so I relented and had a chocolate bun after dinner (oh, it was soooo good).
Thereafter, it gave me the motivation to "punish" myself which drove me to get my ass out to compete my run for today.

Today was pretty awesome.
The Yoga instructor wasn't able to make it, thus, Aditya had the opportunity to stepped up and lead us through a pretty rough Yoga workout which he found online.
This yoga workout was much tougher than the usual yoga sessions we had with the instructor (which was probably to accommodate to the beginners), and it reminded me of the yoga lessons I use to have at Pure Yoga.
I kinda have forgotten that yoga sessions were supposed to be this intense.
Yeah, so I had a great 1.5 hrs of fat-busting yoga workout which left me dripping with sweat.

Following that, I hit the gym in the evening to satisfy my "mean" and forced myself to do a short run to get "lean".

I'll summarise day 2 and 3 here.
Day 2 : Biceps, Triceps + 3.3 km run (although it was the same route as monday) followed by the usual stairs.
Day 3 : (Back to) Chest and core + Yoga workout + 2.25 km jog (took a different route cos I wanted to chill a little) followed by stairs.

Lastly, here is the mandatory selfie:


Alright, cya peeps!
2 more days, keep fighting!
Scott signs off.

Day 6

Hello people!
It's Saturday and I just came back from my run.
Yeah I know, everything was supposed to end yesterday but well.... I got a little too comfy.
I went home early yesterday since I didn't have class and I was supposed to go for my run in the evening.
However, it began pouring at around 5pm so I went to take a nap (which somehow lasted 4 hours thanks to the cool weather).
Fortunately, I did hit the gym in the morning before I left hostel so it wasn't so bad.

Alright, let's get to the documentation.
Day 4 : Shoulders, Back + core + 3.3km run followed by stairs.
Day 5 : Chest and core
Day 6:  2.3km run

And that's it!
I conclude my Mean and Lean week!
It has been a great week, it certainly requires a lot of discipline and determination to exercise and especially do cardio everyday for a period of 5-6 days but I did it!
It was hard initially, but eventually I got use to it and didn't feel much pain or soreness.
By the third day it just felt like an assignment I had to do everyday.

There is no selfie today cause I looked like crap today.

Moving on, I realised that my body is able to burn (fats/muscle) rather fast.
Within a few day into this programme, I was already able to see some results in terms of being more lean and having more definition.
I like the definition I've attained right now, but I also feel a little too skinny.
Hence, I don't think I will keep dieting or this intense cardio up any long.
Most importantly, I've proved that this works and I my body is able to cut body fat fast.
Therefore, if there is a need for me to gain definition in future I will have a solution to it.

Yup, so I guess it is back to bulking after this week.
And I think I'm definitely ready for MBS Skypark tomorrow XD
Will post some pictures if got some nice ones.
Have fun!
Cheers,
Scott signs off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment